Wednesday 11 April 2012

The obligatory handbag post

I've seen loads of blog posts about what girls carry around with them in their handbags so I thought I'd join the party.

I realise just how little I keep in my bag compared to some people but this works out well for Rich as it means there is always plenty of room for his phone/wallet/vita etc when we go out.

Here are the general contents:


I won't leave the house without my purse which is a purple leather beauty from Aspinal of London. It was my leaving gift from the law firm I worked at in London and I love it dearly. I know it cost £100 because I was going to buy it for myself with my final salary payment as I knew I'd never be earning that kind of money again but my friends surprised me by clubbing together to get it. 

I also won't leave the house without my blood sugar testing kit and glucose tablets. About 6 weeks ago I was diagnosed with diabetes as a result of my kidney transplant anti-rejection drugs causing chaos. I inject myself with insulin every morning and take 6 tablets a day to keep it under control. 

I always have ear plugs in my bag because for the 2 years I was ill, I'd often be sent to the hospital at very short notice and end up having to spend the night. I'm a very light sleeper and it's nothing short of a miracle that I didn't murder any patients for snoring. I soon learned to keep some ear plugs with me at all times and despite being fit as a fiddle (well, apart from the diabetes) I still carry them just in case. 

My passport is obviously for ID purposes. I lost my driving licence card several years ago on a night out and only recently replaced it. I guess my passport can retire to the safety of the bedroom drawer now. 

Two kinds of Vaseline, because a girl needs options and a MAC lipgloss for obvious reasons.

A pen and a little pad in case I need to make a note of something.

Oh, and a breath freshener spray. I have a weird addiction to mints so I can't buy TicTacs or Trebor Extra Strong anymore and got bored of finding little bits of tissue with chewing gum inside at the bottom of my bag so I switched to this stuff. 

I usually have a packet of tissues with me too but I ran out and haven't replaced them yet. 


I always have these 6 things inside my purse aside from the usual cards and receipts.

A cashout voucher from the Rio in Las Vegas. It's only for 75 cents but it means that even when I have no real money in my purse, it's technically not empty.

My steroid treatment card. I don't really know why I have to carry this with me but when I had my transplant I was told to keep it on me at all times so I do although I've never had to use it or show anyone. I like to think that when the inevitable day comes that I do punch someone in the supermarket for blocking an entire aisle with their trolley, I can use it as a roid rage pass. 

A super old photo of Rich when he had longer hair than mine.

My front row ticket to see Eddie Izzard at the Tivoli. I carry this because he's a hero of mine. Not because of all the marathon running or weird recent political involvement - it's because since I was 13 he has always made me laugh no matter how sad I am. I used to have a severe phobia of needles. I've been known to cry, scream, pass out, vomit, run away and have a panic attack just from seeing one on the telly. Dialysis would have been impossible so I had some hypnotherapy from the Renal Psychologist to cure my fear. I had to use an "anchor" and was told to pick someone I admire and respect so I chose Eddie. The psychologist said it was the first time she'd ever had someone chose a comedian and would be suggesting it to more people. 


The guardian angel was given to me by a good friend and has the world "health" written on the back. I'm not a big believer in angels, nor do I disbelieve in them but I appreciated the gesture. 

My lucky penny is from one of those coin machines you find in tourist places. I got this from the top of the Stratosphere in Las Vegas. I'm still yet to win the Lotto so I can't say it's bought me any substantial fortune but I am lucky to be alive and that's enough for me. 


1 comment:

  1. Love this post!! I plan to do a handbag post one day, but at the moment it's got so much stuff in it that I can barely lift it, so think I'll wait until I clear it out!

    xx

    ReplyDelete