Thursday 12 April 2012

Books vs Kindle

This debate has been raging for quite some time now and I'm forever seeing tweets about the subject.

There are some people who seem to be riding a perilously high horse by refusing to buy a Kindle because "books are better, no contest, end of story". They seem to have the belief that by not buying an e-reader they will single handedly stop the decline of books and that anyone with a Kindle must be killed with fire.

I simply do not understand this line of thought.

Along with a boy named Dominic, I was top of my class when it came to spelling and reading. As a little girl I devoured every single Enid Blyton book like Malory Towers or The Famous Five. As a pre-teen I couldn't get enough of Sweet Valley High and when I was 13 I discovered the glorious Discworld and it's wonderful inhabitants all created by Terry Pratchett.

In short, I have always enjoyed reading and it's fair to say I have a strong love of books. I don't want to see them die out but, to put it simply, I love my Kindle more.

Rich bought me a Kindle when I started dialysis. I cannot begin to tell you how boring it is to be attached to a machine by two needles unable to move for FOUR hours three times a week. It is essential to keep the arm with the needles completely still during treatment. My fistula (the bit they put the needles in) is in my left wrist which made holding a book and turning the pages impossible. Ok, not impossible but very difficult. I have seen many fellow patients attempt to read a book only to give up after losing their page too many times or dropping it on the floor. If you think I'm being ridiculous, sit in a chair and try and read a book using only your right hand to hold it and turn the pages. Yes, you could put the book on your lap every time you need to turn a page but imagine trying to do that for four hours, especially with a hardback.

Rather than having to watch four hours of brain rotting daytime tv, the Kindle meant I could transport myself away from my current world of dialysis to all kinds of places. I could hold it comfortably with one hand and turn the pages with the click of a button helpfully placed exactly where my thumb rested. I was able to read the Lord of the Rings which I would never have done in paperback because it's such a beast. The Kindle store also allows authors to publish their own works without needing a contract. Thanks to this I discovered several authors I would never have even heard of. Everything that is no longer under copyright is free so books such as Dracula and anything involving Sherlock Holmes can be downloaded for nothing more than the cost of your time. Of course you could go the library for free books but there is no guarantee they will have what you're looking for and if you're late returning it then you better be prepared to pay the fee.

The Kindle works wirelessly with no need for cables. I was incredibly lucky in that my dialysis unit offered free wifi to patients so every time I finished a True Blood novel or a Detective Jackson Mystery, I could connect to Amazon through the Kindle and download the next book in the series. Right there, in my chair still attached to the machine.

I would have loved a Kindle when I lived in London. I always read on my commute but carrying a heavy book around would sometimes prove difficult. There were also two occasions that my journey was delayed and I finished my book leaving me with nothing to do but read the thrilling adverts on the Tube. With a Kindle you can carry practically limitless books with you at all times on a near weightless device.

The only issue I have with the Kindle is the cost of some of the books. There are always offers and deals in place to get cheap books and I've already spoken about how many freebies there are but newer releases are priced at nearly the same as the hard copy. This isn't a fault with the Kindle itself but more to do with publishers. Either way, I fail to comprehend how a 2kb downloadable file that essentially is free to create and doesn't require delivery or storage space can cost the same as a weighty hardback that needs to be printed, shipped and stacked on a shelf.

I will always treasure the books I do have and one day I hope I'm fortunate enough to have a home library where I can proudly display them all. I will have a huge chair and an open fire so I can sit and read for hours and hours. However, I will need to win the Lotto first!

The Kindle changed my life for the better by making dialysis bearable. It gave me access to new and otherwise unpublished authors as well as enabling me to try out new genres. I'm not saying that a Kindle is for everyone but I'd really appreciate it if people could stop making out that I'm a heathen because I own one.

3 comments:

  1. We've been having this debate at work. I keep arguing with myself whether to get one. The thing unlike about books is seeing how much you've read and got left to go, and I like to read in the bath and would worry about dropping the kindle (I've had several soggy books over the years!), but can see the practical side of having loads of books on there and instant downloads etc... Hmmm,

    ReplyDelete
  2. *i like, not unlike! Doofus phone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Kindle tells you how far you are through the book so although you can't see a physical amount of pages, you can see how much you've read.

    I still buy books as well as the downloads. I like to read series such as the Discworld or Dexter novels so I want to keep adding to my hardback collection and I don't think that will ever change even if they do cut the prices online.

    Not sure about the bath dilemma though. Wrap it in a sandwich bag maybe!? :)

    ReplyDelete