Saturday 14 April 2012

The Grand National

I'm writing this blog for several reasons. Firstly, it's just taken place and emotions are running high on the internet as people debate it, secondly - Rich is still away on holiday so I have unimpeded access to the laptop and thirdly, iPlayer isn't working properly and I can't catch up on Britain's Best Dish.

I have always bet on the Grand National ever since I was a little girl. There used to be a horse called Romany King and my dad would always put a 50p each way bet on for me. When he retired I would choose the horse with the name or jockey colours that most appealed to me. Over the years I have usually won something with an each way bet, even if it is only a couple of pounds.

I very rarely watch the actual race though because it makes me feel ill. I don't follow horse racing and the Grand National is the only gambling (other than the lottery) that I partake in so I can't pretend to know much about the subject. I don't understand why the jumps are made out of bits of twigs and leaves that fall apart so easily or why they need to be so high. It is sickening to see a horse or jockey fall and the results are often tragic. I watched the race today with my mum and by jump number 12, we had both looked away and were only listening to the commentators.

I can totally understand why people are so against the Grand National because of the number of horse fatalities but I can't say I necessarily agree with them. I would like to think of myself as an animal lover, my dog is treated better than some children, I get upset when I read stories about cruelty in the papers and I regularly donate to animal charities. However, I can't help but come to the conclusion that a lot of the people crying so loudly about the Grand National are huge hypocrites.

On Facebook I have seen someone write a lengthy status update about how cruel and unnecessary the race is. This same person posted a status only a week ago about him cooking a live lobster and how delicious it was. How can you justify boiling an animal alive yet be so offended by a horse race? Yes, I suppose the horse won't be eaten but equally, how much meat do you get off a lobster?  I haven't eaten fish or seafood for lengthy and bizarre reasons that I won't go into now but the main reason is my complete horror at how creatures are killed and how much wastage is involved.

These horses are bred solely to take part in horse racing. If the Grand National or similar races didn't exist, neither would these horses. Most of the horses that took part today seemed to be 10 or 11 years old. During those years they live lives that are undoubtedly better than mine or yours. They have the very best medical care, food and living arrangements. They don't have to wait a week to see their vet like we do with our GPs and they certainly won't be eating any cheap junk food. They're well groomed and looked after because of the huge amounts of money their owners invest in them.

They have a considerably better experience on this earth than most of the food you eat. Hell, they have a better life than a lot of humans on the planet. I'm no vegetarian but unless you buy free range eggs or organic free range meat from accredited farms then you need to have a word with yourself. If you've eaten a takeaway curry, burger or shop bought sandwich this weekend then you can guarantee that the meat inside would have been from the cheapest possible source which would mean the animals lived a miserable existence. I wholeheartedly agree that you can be a meat eater and care about animal welfare but perhaps your indignation at how horses are treated could be better directed elsewhere.

I will continue betting on the Grand National for as long as it exists. Especially if like today I pick the winner. Thank you Neptune Collonges for the gift of pizza that was delivered this evening.


2 comments:

  1. I've been trying to write a response to this for about half an hour. I agree with a lot of the things you say. I'd like to think I'm not a hypocrite - I do my very best to buy the 'right' foods, especially considering the money that I don't have.

    Anyway, as I'm sure you noticed, the Grand National upsets me a lot. All horse racing does but this in particular. I understand why people put money on it and I completely respect everything you say but for me it is barbaric. And that's because these animals die for absolutely no reason. These races don't have to happen and they certainly don't have to happen like that. It's not a sport if the participants don't have a choice and it's not entertainment if something dies. I have strong views on animal life, views that 95% of people don't quite see eye to eye with, so I find it difficult to put it into a small comment. I guess I just wanted to make it clear to someone (hi, people who unfollowed me in a huff this afternoon!) that my issue isn't with the people who bet on these races, it's with the people who watch these animals die, turn off the TV afterwards and go back to business like an F1 car has just broken down. But yes, I do agree that there are issues more serious than these when it comes to animal welfare and that people should consider their views on everything, not just one event.

    I hope that makes some sense. I'm very excited by your blog, by the way. I've been meaning to start a new one for ages and lots are sprouting up at the moment so I may have to jump on ship! (@Phwoffy!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day I'll blog about why I don't eat seafood. I think 99.9% of people won't agree with those views!

      I bet on the Grand National but the race itself does cause me a lot of mental discomfort. Every year I forget how bad it is until I watch it.

      My issue was more with people crying out about it whilst tucking into their lobster salads or eating their halal chicken. People love something to be offended about (me included, especially when it comes to seafood - ha!) but they need to think about how they make their argument.

      Delete