Saturday 10 November 2012

Beauty Boxes - Are They Worth It?



I've been subscribing to beauty boxes for almost a year now and it's something that comes up all the time in conversation. I get asked about them a lot on Twitter because I always post excited tweets and pictures whenever one arrives or when I've found a new wonder product in a box. The general concept is that each month a box containing 5 beauty products is delivered to your door. The main question is always "Are they worth it". My only answer can be a resounding YES!

I originally subscribed to the Feel Unique beauty box back in December 2011 and I was thrilled when it arrived. It contained Tigi Bed Head Sugar Dust, a mini Nails Inc pink polish, Figs & Rouge lip balm, Clarisonic cleanser and Annik Goutal Mandagore perfume. There was also a bonus flyer with 3 tiny samples from a new beauty company in New Zealand. I felt it was a really good mix of products; hair, nails, lips, skin and scent. After that however things went a bit down hill for Feel Unique. My second box in January 2012 was very disappointing as it contained anti-aging cream, cleanser, a tiny face mask sample, shampoo for coloured hair, body lotion and a salt scrub so apart from the shampoo, which was useless for me since I don't dye my hair, all the products were for skin care. The third box arrived in February 2012 and was better as it introduced me to Nuxe oil which, when mixed with foundation, is simply life changing. I also got a huge bottle of Elemis hand wash as well as a hair elasticizer, nail polish, exfoliating cream and bonus sample of Jean Paul Gaultier's Kokorico for men. However, soon after the February box arrived the announcement came that Feel Unique would be discontinuing their beauty box.

I quickly subscribed to Carmine just in time to receive their February box. It was very different to Feel Unique as it was mainly make-up. I got an Andrea Fulerton nail polish, Daniel Sander eyeshadow, Frat Boy blusher and Diego Dalla Palma lipstick sample. Also included was some White Glo tooth paste and a bonus Yardley fragrance sample. I had mixed feeling about this box because whilst the nail polish was fantastic and I've gone on to buy other Andrea Fulerton products, the lipstick sample was completely useless. It was tiny, the wrong shade and the packaging wasn't robust so you couldn't have worn it for a day and carried it with you for reapplications. Then came the news that Carmine would also be discontinuing their beauty box.

I decided to give beauty boxes one more try and after researching both Glossybox and She Said Beauty I went with SSB. That's when everything changed.

Thanks to Carmine leaving it until mid-March to deliver the news that they wouldn't be sending out a box I missed the cut off point to get the SSB March box so I had to wait until April but it was worth it. My first box contained Mischa Barton lip tint, Filthy Gorgeous nail polish, Bella Pierre shimmer powder, Bharti Vyas face and neck polisher and a multi-pack of Comfort Zone samples. It also included a bonus pack of Erno Laszlo samples AND a Lindt chocolate egg. The Comfort Zone set of samples is one of my favourite things I've ever received in a beauty box. Inside a handbag shaped packet were generous samples of exfoliator, shower gel, body cream, remodeller, leg cream and tranquility cream. In March I went back to work after a break of 2.5 years so by the time this box came I was in need of a little TLC. The Comfort Zone pack covered all bases.

Since April I've looked forward to my SSB box coming through the door. The only product I've not been happy with was a Kim Kardashian perfume but that's more to do with the person than the product and it wasn't wasted because I was able to post to a friends sister who happens to be fan. A couple of months ago a nail polish wasn't included in my box and the customer service was second to none. SSB are on Twitter and always reply to any of your inquiries or comments and a new nail varnish was promptly delivered to me. The rapport they have with their customers is invaluable and I think they are leading the way when showing how having a social media team can benefit your business and keep customers happy and interested.

Each box always has a good mix of products, it's never too heavy on creams or make-up. SSB also send out beauty equipment - I've had eyelash curlers (amazing), the S shaped nail file by Tom from the Apprentice (also amazing) and blotter sheets (yes, you've guessed it - amazing).

Since April I've had a fabulous variety of goodies from tanning to vitamins, primer to nail wraps, cleansing oil to BB cream, false eyelashes to vegan lip whip. Brands have included St Tropez, Mischa Barton, Elemis, Vintage Cosmetics Company and Nails Inc. Each month you get your standard 5 items but SSB always include a 6th bonus item. There are at least 2 full sized products in your box (the photo I've used at the top of this blog is from the June box and has 4 full sized products) and the sample sizes are generous.

I've used most of the items I get but I have given a couple of things away. My mum is a sun worshiper so I gave her the tan accelerator cream that came in May's box as well the bronzer that came in the most recent one. I actually like being able to share things so I don't see this as a negative. The only item I've received since April that I haven't been able to use at all are the vitamins but that's only because they were green tea based and would interfere with my transplant medication but that information isn't in my online profile so SSB couldn't possibly have known about it. Everything else has fitted my beauty profile - no ghastly blue eyeshadow like the one my friend got in the August Glossybox. Despite being blonde and fair skinned she also got a dark brunette HD brows kit in the July Glossybox.

The SSB packaging is lovely too. The boxes are a soft shade of bluey-green, the padding inside the box is straw rather than shredded paper which I really appreciate and everything is wrapped up in pink tissue paper and tied with a ribbon. Beautiful.

The cost of beauty boxes varied in the beginning but they're all pretty much the same now. When I signed up to Feel Unique it was £10 including p&p but now all companies providing beauty boxes charge for p&p. She Said Beauty are the cheapest as they charge £9 per box with £2.95 for p&p making it £11.95 each month, Amarya charge £10 per box with £2.50 for p&p and Glossybox and JolieBox both charge £10 per box with £2.95 for p&p making them £12.95 each so they're all fairly evenly priced. There are discounts available for buying subscriptions in bulk too. The contents of every beauty box is worth a lot more than the price you pay for it. It's often at least double what you've spent, sometimes almost triple.

I don't wear a full face of make-up every day, I don't spend a fortune on the latest lotions and potions and I'm not an experienced beauty blogger. I'm just a normal girl who likes to pamper herself every once in a while and make the best of what I've got. I would wholeheartedly recommend beauty boxes to everyone because at a maximum cost of £12.95 they hardly break the bank. They're a wonderful little treat to look forward to each month and even if you do get something you don't particularly like you can share it with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment