Thursday 6 September 2012

Oreo Truffle Marshmallow Chocolate Brownies


Oreo Truffle Marshmallow Chocolate Brownies

I'm going to a party at the end of the month and I've promised to bring some baked goods. The host isn't keen on buttercream and I needed something that travels well as the event is in London. Brownies are one of the most robust things I could think of and the birthday boy is an Oreo fan and thus these creations were born. The pictures are from a practice run I did yesterday.

You will need the following ingredients (plus some butter that I foolishly forgot to include):


To make the brownies:

100g cocoa
500g caster sugar
100g self-raising flour
250g butter
4 beaten eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and line a small brownie tin.
Melt the butter in the microwave if you're impatient or in a saucepan.
Off the heat mix in the cocoa and sugar and stir until dissolved.
Add the eggs one at a time and mix until dissolved.
Finally, stir in the flour.
Transfer to your brownie tin and bake for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes put a piece of greaseproof paper or silver foil and on top of the brownie to stop the edges burning and bake for another 10-15 minutes. 
Test whether it's cooked by inserting a skewer and then leave to cool.


Of course, if you've got a favourite brownie recipe you can use that, anything will do! I took the brownie out of the pan and removed the greaseproof paper and then put the brownie back before doing the next steps.

To make the Oreo truffle:

20 Oreo cookies
1.5 tablespoons chocolate spread
1.5 tablespoons cream cheese

Crush the cookies in a food processor.
Add the chocolate spread and cream cheese and blitz.


The idea is to make a dough-like truffle consistency. If it's too wet you can add some icing sugar to bring it back, if it's too dry just add a little more cream cheese. It should be glossy and spreadable when you're finished. This stuff would be amazing just rolled into balls and coated with popping candy or coconut. I'm thinking of making some cakepops using this mix. If you don't have a food processor you can crush the cookies in a sandwich bag by bashing them with a rolling pin. It'll take longer and won't be as smooth but it'll be just as tasty.


When the brownie is completely cool spread the truffle mix on the top. You'll need to score a few lines on and make some dimples in it because marshmallow Fluff will stick to carpets, skin, dog fur and jeans but it seldom sticks to cake. I speak from painful experience. I once filled a cake with Fluff and when I checked on it a few hours later it had created a hole in the frosting and oozed out down the side. There were tears in the kitchen that day.


Now you need to add the Fluff. Because it is an unruly beast and will try to make an escape, you don't need to pour loads on. I used just under half a jar. I didn't have any problems with it running out after the brownies were cut with this amount. Also, Fluff is really sweet and these brownies don't need much help in the sugar department! If you accidentally mix in a bit of the truffle (like I did as you'll see from the photo below) it doesn't matter so don't worry.


Now you need to get the chocolate topping ready. Either melt it in a bowl over a pan of water or give it short bursts in the microwave. I always use the microwave because it's easier, cleaner and quicker. I would recommend SilverSpoon cake covering for things like this because it melts into a gloriously runny liquid making coverage so easy. Score the surface of the Fluff before you pour to help the chocolate stick to it and hold it in place. The chocolate needs to be room temperature before you start otherwise it'll upset the Fluff. I used half a bar of chocolate for this.


Now, what I should have done is add the crushed Oreos while the milk chocolate was still wet but being a domestic goddess (*cough*) I was making a carbonara at the same time and forgot to do this so I had to improvise. 

I chopped the Oreos into little wedges and crumbs.


I then drizzled melted white chocolate all over the top of the brownies and scattered on the cookie pieces. Then I drizzled loads more white chocolate on top to stick the whole lot together. It worked but it wasn't how I wanted these brownies to look. That'll teach me to pay more attention.


Run a knife round the outside of the pan to release the brownie and then cut into cubes. They are obviously incredibly rich so a little goes a long, long way! 

A close up. Please imagine some raunchy music playing in the background.


I only had a little nibble because although my diabetes is under control and has almost disappeared, I still didn't want to risk it. Rich took the brownies to work with him (my first baked goods contribution to his new job - eek!). They loved them and they've all gone. Somebody said it was the best brownie they've ever had so I can assure you that these are worth making if you need to make an impression. 

















1 comment:

  1. Dear sweet god... this has been printed out for future reference! :-)

    ReplyDelete