Monday 8 October 2012

Ignoring X-Factor does not make you better than me

It's that time of year again, the live shows have started and the X-Factor machine is in full motion.

Anyone who watches it is fully aware that the 'competition' is far from serious. We know that the show creates characters such as the cheeky chappies portrayed as a lovable chimney sweeps who couldn't catch a break, the earth mothers who are "doing it for their kids" and the shaky-handed, terribly nervous young supermarket workers just trying to live their dream. We know it's a load of crap because the internet tells us it is. We know that the chimney sweep from this year was in fact in a successful duo that played at major festivals such as V and Wireless. We know the mother who is finding it difficult being parted from her kids as she wasn't expecting it to be so tough knows fully what would be expected because she had a record deal with EMI and has provided backing vocals for popular artists such as Kasabian. The shaky-handed, terribly nervous supermarket worker can been seen on YouTube busking in the street singing in front of a crowd and he has confirmed the producers invited him to audition.

I have all the facts and I still choose to watch it anyway. But it hasn't always been that way. I used to be like these people.


I used to say things like that. I couldn't believe that people actually wasted their time watching such nonsense. While everyone at work would be discussing the show I'd be scowling, scoffing at them and muttering insults about their stupidity. Friends would have X-Factor parties each weekend (back when the results and exit was the same night as the singing) and I wouldn't go because I wouldn't be seen dead watching something so far beneath me. It's quite hard to look down your nose at someone when you're only 5'3" but I gave it a bloody good go.

But where did that attitude get me? It got me nowhere. All it did was isolate me from conversations and I'd miss out on a good time. And for what? So I could feel intellectually superior over a tv show? What a monumental waste of time.

I'd come to realise this and although I was still loathe to give in and join the masses in 2009 a friends step-son was on the show and she wanted everyone to watch and support him. As it turned out he didn't make it past boot camp but by then I was already into the program so I carried on watching. For once I was able to join in with the fun, and that's all it is - a bit of fun. 

Sorry Fred but I could mention Mensa, grammar school and assisting with the management and legal work on £1billion (yes one billion pounds) worth of property in London to prove my worthiness at being valued as a human being of intellect. 

Apologies to Iain for holding down a job, running a household and not having any credit cards or a penny of debt because in my humble opinion that eliminates me from the idiot category. 

CJ, you've never met me but thanks for the sweeping generalisation. From your timeline I can see that you spend all your money on alcohol and weed, you posted a photo mocking the disabled and you've got your phone number listed on your public profile. But yes, it must be me who is the "fucking gimp". 

Finally, it is with regret that I inform you, DJ, that I did in fact 'get a life' just over a year ago when I had my kidney transplant and guess what, I still want to watch X-Factor.

Being wrong is never an easy thing to admit but I'm happy to do it. Being a judgmental cow was pointless and all that time I thought I was better than my friends and colleagues because I didn't watch it, it was really the other way round. They were better than me because they didn't judge me for not watching it. 

If I choose to stay at home on a Saturday night and watch a tv show that half the country is also watching, why does that give you the right to decide that my status in humanity has become void? I know it's not real, I don't take it seriously and I have never voted for an act. 

Instead of worrying about what I'm watching you should be worrying about the hatred and vitriol you feel the need to put out into the world. You're reacting like that to a tv show about singing. Really? You should take a moment to think about how utterly ridiculous that is.

You think you're above everyone on the moral high ground but you forget, it's lonely at the top.

1 comment:

  1. Too true! As much as I think X Factor is now flogging a dead horse (kinda like the last 5 series of Big Brother...) I used to get an insane amount of stick for watching and loving Jersey Shore. People can choose to watch whatever they like, and for whatever reason, too, without fear of being judged by the 'high and mighty' ("Have you ever even watched JS?" "Uh, no, but I don't need to, I know it's shit..." GOOD)

    ReplyDelete